Thursday, February 21, 2008

Lesson Learned

Last night was Sarah’s night to teach the 1st & 2nd graders, but since she was sick, and I didn’t have time to get a lesson ready, I decided to let the kiddos watch a movie. I went to church early so I could get the TV set up and find a good kids DVD in the church library. We’ve been learning about mercy this month, and so I thought the video on the Prodigal Son would be perfect. So we get into class and I get the movie all set up and ready to go. Well, if you don’t know the story, a son asks his father for his inheritance early because he wants to go to the city and become rich, but instead he ends up spending it all wastefully and comes back home poor as dirt begging his father for work. Instead of making him work, his father welcomes him back with open arms and doesn’t punish him or get mad at him for losing all the money. Perfect mercy example.

If you worked for a company who made cartoon children’s Bible story videos, would you put seductive belly dancers and voluptuous fortune tellers in them? Would you really think that was appropriate?

I wouldn’t.


I was just waiting to for the video to be done and for all the girls to get up and start shaking it like Shakira.

Thank goodness we had snack to distract them!! Next time, I guess I’ll preview the video before I play it.

No comments: