Sunday, September 27, 2009

Jackson's Birth Story



Wrote this not long after J was born, and I'm finally posting it so that I never lose it. Better late than never :)



------------ So it all started on Friday afternoon September 18th, the day before my due date. Chase and I went to my weekly doctors appointment. Everything was the same as it had been the week before: not dilated at all. BUMMER. Since I kind of figured that would be the case, I knew we would be discussing induction, and I figured sometime within the next 2 weeks. Since my body was showing no signs of readiness for labor, I figured I still had a while to go, and was pretty upset because I really wanted to go into labor naturally. Just like every other week, Dr. M pulled out her doppler to check Jackson’s heart rate. His heart rate was usually in the 135-145 range, but this time, it was around 115. She listened to it for about a minute and it never went above 120. So she decided to hook me up to the fetal monitor and do a quick sonogram just to make sure everything was okay. Thankfully she is such a calm person, she made it sound almost routine, so that helped me not to freak out. The nurse brought the fetal monitor in, hooked me up, and then let it record for about 20 minutes. I was never more glad to have Chase at an appointment with me! During the 20 minutes, his heart rate was about 115-120, dropping down to 108 a few times, and spiking to 135 a few times when he was kicking around. Needless to say, that’s not very good. So after a while they brought the sonogram machine in and took a look at the little guy. I had a sonogram 2 weeks before this one and it all looked pretty good. His tummy was measuring about 4 weeks behind, but since the placenta, amniotic fluid levels, and all the other measurements looked good, there was no real cause for concern (Dr M. said he was probably just skinny like his momma - see why I love her?!). On this sonogram, his stomach was still measuring about 4-5 weeks behind, but the placenta had a lot of calcification, and my fluid levels were too low. Safe level is above 8. Mine was at a 6, when two weeks before they had been a 16. So after talking to the doctor, we all decided it would be best to induce, and the sooner the better. So we were told to report to the hospital the next evening! This just blew my mind since I was really expecting to be pregnant for at least another week or two!

(couple hours before we went to the hospital)


Saturday Chase and I just took it easy, making sure everything was ready to go. It was pretty nice being able to take a shower and get ready without the rush of “Oh gosh, I’m in labor!” We went and ate lunch at On the Border then went to my parents until it was time to go the hospital. We were only there for a couple hours, but it felt like we were there ALL DAY. I was so anxious! We got to the hospital a little before 5:00 and checked in. They got us in the our room, hooked me up to the monitors, placed my IV, and we waited. And sat. And waited. And sat. Bored out of our minds. (There was a UT football game on that night, so Chase was happy he got to watch it!)


They were short staffed that night, and since my situation wasn’t really pressing, I was a little lower on the priority list. They were supposed to started me on the Cytotec around 7pm, but they later came in and told me it would actually be closer to midnight. Ugh! I had not had anything to eat since about 2:00pm, so Chase ran to get me a sandwich to scarf down. They finally administered the pill around 11:30pm and gave me an Ambien to help me sleep. They had to check me 3 hours later to see if I needed another dose. So I get another dose at 2:30, and they checked me again at 5:30pm and said I was ready to start on the Pitocin. They hooked up the Pitocin around 6:00am to give my contractions a kick start. Around 9:00 I started actually feeling the contractions, basically just like really mild cramps. At 11:00, Dr Motley came in to check me (only dilated to a 2) and break my water. OUCH!!! I was always told that it doesn’t hurt, and that you feel so much better after they do that. WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. It hurts like crazy, and the contractions kicked in to full gear after that! I don’t know how people go through labor without getting an epidural. They gave me the epidural an hour later, but that was one hour of absolute torture! (I'm sort of a wimp :)) I had my mom on one side of me, just keeping me calm and breathing, and Chase on the other side. I was gripping his hand so hard, I’m surprised I didn’t bruise him! If I could have, I would have kissed the anesthesiologist. She was my life-saver. After that it was basically a lot of sitting there and chatting with everyone that came up to the hospital to visit. When Dr. M broke my water, she figured Jackson would arrive around 3:00. Well, around 4:00pm I had only dilated to a 4. At 6:00pm I finally made it to a 6, and they figured I still had a good 4 hours to go. (I'm pretty sure at this point, I was just like "What the heck?! Jackson, get OUT.") Well, at 7:00pm the new nurse came in and went ahead and checked me. I was completely dilated. What?! I was not expecting that at all. She asked me if I was ready to start pushing, and I think I just stared at her, haha. A little bit before this, I had started feeling my contractions again, which isn’t supposed to happen when you’re on an epidural. They weren’t hurting, but I could just feel pressure when they started. I also started having some MAJOR pain in a spot on the lower left side of my back. I've never been stabbed, but I think that is probably what it feels like. So before we started the pushing process, they had the anesthesiologist come back in and give me a little extra dose of the epidural. The contractions feelings went away, but unfortunately the back pain just kept getting worse. Ended up being the little mister's head pushing on a nerve in my back. So by that point I was just ready to get him out. They had called my doctor when I was at a 6 and gave her an update, then had to call her 30 minutes later and tell her to hurry up and get to the hospital because this baby was not going to wait on her! The nurse had me start pushing for about 10 minutes before Dr. Motley got there, and quickly saw that Jackson was actually moving himself down, so she had me stop pushing for a while because she was afraid he would come out before the Dr. got there. Thankfully Dr. Motley got there in time, and Jackson arrived after about another 15 minutes of pushing! He was PERFECT. Seven pounds and 19 ½ inches of cuteness wrapped up in an adorable, blond, chubby-cheeked baby boy.







I always thought I would just bawl my eyes out the first time I saw him, but the second the put him on my chest I just stared at him. I couldn’t cry or talk or anything, I think I was just in shock that he was actually here. Chase didn’t cry either. We both just looked at each other with a “Can you believe this??” look on our faces, haha. Chase cut the cord, I was so proud of him!! He had not planned on that since he’s not so good with all the blood and guts stuff, but he said it wasn’t so gross looking so he didn’t mind doing it, haha. Once they got Jackson all cleaned up and we got some pictures, I tried to nurse him but he was just not interested. He just wanted to look around at everything. So after about 15 minutes of no success, we figured we’d go ahead and have the family come in to see him. After about an hour everyone cleared out and I tried feeding him again and he did great! We stayed in the hospital until Tuesday afternoon when we finally got to go home.






No comments: